Thursday, July 1, 2010

Severe anxiety, I have it

Does anyone else have alarm clock neurosis?

I am so terrified of not waking up that I literally have to set two alarms on my phone, two minutes apart, every single night.

Never mind that I am usually awoken by the blind people bus that stops in front of my house every morning, announcing it’s route loudly. Or that sometimes when my fan rustles a piece of paper it violently wakes me up, in a panic that someone has broken in and is now rifling through my magazines with wild abandon.

Last night though it spiraled into scary OCD territory as I realized my phone was nearly out of batteries and my charger was nowhere to be found. I set the two alarms anyway and then proceeded to set the alarm clock in my room. Then I dug out an old alarm clock and set that too, just in case maybe the first one was broken from not using it for so long.

Then I settled into bed. And started realizing that I had no clue if the alarm clocks I had set really worked so I went about testing them all, several times, then resetting them, then double checking it.

I honestly spent half an hour ensuring I would wake up in the morning- It was all so unnecessary, I see that now. And then this morning came…it was like a war between the four most annoying sounds in the world. I was simultaneously awoken by bells, a gentle harp, a shrill beep and mariachi music from the Spanish radio station.

How do you even go about your day when THAT is how you are woken up?

2 comments:

Erica Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erica said...

Haha i can totally relate to you.. except mine is less paranoia, more weird habit

6:50 (my first wake up call alarm)
6:52 (the next wake up call in case i missed the first, this is the one i then proceed to set for 7:30 because for some reason it's easier to wake up when you're already kinda awake)
7:30 (time i should get up alarm- hit snooze until 7:45)
7:45 (get up time alarm)
7:55 (get out of the shower now or you will be even more late for work than you already are alarm)